Welcome to the Flourtown Cub Scout Pack 173 web site.
This month is the Pinewood Derby!!
I hope everyone is excited - it is sure to be a good time. Here is some important information you need to know:
On Saturday, January 6 from 8:30 am to 11:30 am we will be hosting a Pinewood Derby Workshop. This is an opportunity for boys and their parents to come and use the tools and get help building the Derby cars. All are welcome - we do not need an RSVP for you to come. We do, however, need people to sign up to bring tools so we have enough.
What we need most are: BAND SAW, DRILL PRESS, BELT SANDER, HAND SANDERS, AND DRILLS. Please sign up if you are able to bring tools, and indicate in the comments what you will be bringing. If you are just attending, there is no need to respond, you can just come, but please note that the 11:30 end time is a set time.
Friday, January 19 is the Derby Check-in for all scouts and siblings participating in the Derby, in MacColl Auditorium of St. Thomas' Church from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm (directions below.) Cars will be weighed, checked, and impounded.
We will have a very few tools (sandpaper, dremel tool, power drill, coping saw, glue gun, etc.) if cars are in need of minor adjustments to pass. Once the car has passed, it will be impounded for the evening unit the end of the racing on Saturday. Before turning in the car to the impound lot, the racers will have a chance to run the cars on the track to see how they roll.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT CHECK-IN:
- All cars must be inspected at check-in. Once the car has passed inspection it will be impounded overnight. No cars will be accepted after check-in has ended.
- All cars must weigh 5 oz. or less to be accepted and judged.
- Each scout is responsible for adding weight to his car, if necessary, during the build day or check-in process. The Pack will not provide weights. Washers work well and other weights are available at hardware stores or online. Any weight added must be attached securely and not interfere with the operation of the cars.
Saturday, January 20 is the Pinewood Derby!! We need lots of volunteers! Please sign up for at least one slot.
The Derby is taking place at St. Thomas' Church which sits on the hill between Bethlehem Pike, Church Road, and Camp Hill Road. You should turn right onto Camp Hill Road off of Bethlehem Pike and enter there. The Derby will take place in MacColl Auditorium. Park on the lower end of the main parking lot (not the lot closest to Camp Hill Road).
Please plan to arrive at 8am to place your votes and get ready to race. The races should run from 8:30am to about noon. We have about 50 scout racers and 12 sibling racers. The scouts will run a first heat to get to 16 racers. We will then get to a finals heat of 8 racers that will determine eight fastest cars with trophies being awarded for those top eight. We will run the sibling race in between the first scout heat and the heat of 16. There are no trophies or awards for the sibling race.
Outside of the racing, we will ask racers to vote for most patriotic, best scout theme, most like a race car and most unusual. There will also be a best car voted on by the race committee.
A few other notes:
- The snack bar will be open on Saturday! Enjoy donuts, bagels, hot dogs, meatball sammies, and other delicious treats throughout the morning.
- No children or cubs are permitted in the kitchen.
See you there!!
Subscribe to this Google Calendar:
- Open Google Calendar.
- On the left side, find "Other calendars" and click the down arrow.
- Select "Add by URL."
- Paste the following iCal URL in the field provided: